Sunday, February 19, 2017

How to 'sort of' build a Computer

Last week my old computer died and I had to finally get around to replacing it.

I decided to build one from scratch to save some bucks, and finally got it up and running after a few  minor (ahem) setbacks:

- I bought the wrong size motherboard for my chip and had to return that
- I bought the wrong size CPU fan for my case and had to return that
- I had to reinstall the motherboard when the base of my CPU fan was too loose (which also required a trip to Lowes for some rubber washers)
- I dislodged one of the screws when removing the motherboard and had to carefully pry it out without snapping it
- One of the screws from my top fan dropped into the case when I was installing it, so I had to return to Lowes to get a replacement screw
- I found the lost screw a few minutes after I got back from Lowes
- And then I put the fan on backwards so I had to reinstall it again
- The computer turned on when I flipped the switch on the power supply, but the Bios never booted
- My old hard drive with all of my tax info wasn't showing up until I realized that I hadn't connected it properly
- I had to order an extra extension for my motherboard to accomodate a bunch of extra USB 2.0 wires that had nowhere to plug into
- After much anguish I realized that I had forgotten to turn on the main power switch for the computer (duh)
- The Bios came on and I was able to install Windows 10, but the next day I realized that it was the wrong version (32 bit instead of 64 bit) after enduring a frustrating night where all of my systems and monitors were not working correctly
- I then had to wipe the drive and reinstall everything again

And then it worked :)